History of the School

KAFUE SECONDARY SCHOOL IS ONE OF THE OLDEST SCHOOLS IN ZAMBIA. THE SCHOOL IS 10 KM SOUTH OF KAFUE TOWN AND 2.5KM FROM THE MAIN ROAD.

THE SCHOOL OFFERS SECONDARY EDUCATION (FROM GRADE EIGHT TO GRADE TWELVE) TO BOYS ONLY. THE SCHOOL’S HISTORY DATES BACK TO ABOUT 1900.

IN 1910 THE PREMITIVE METHODIST MISSIONARIES IN NORTHERN RHODESIA DREW UP PLANS FOR THE BUILDING OF A TEACHER-EVANGELIST INSTITUTE. A SITE WAS CHOSEN NEAR THE KAFUE RIVER. IN 1915 MR CHARLES AND MRS MARTHAR CLIXBY OF ENGLAND PURCHASED THE LAND (SITE) NEAR THE KAFUE RIVER (PRESENT DAY KASAKA FISHERIES). THE LAND CAME TO BE KNOWN AS CLIXBY ESTATE. IT WAS ON THIS LAND THAT THE TEACHER’S INSTITUTE WAS BUILT.

THE INSTITUTE, CALLED THE NATIVE TRAINING INSTITUTE WAS OPENED IN 1918 BY REV. J.R. FELL AS THE FIRST PRINCIPAL. THE INSTITUTE TRAINED ITS STUDENTS IN TEACHING METHODS, CARPENTRY, FARMING AND ANIMAL HUSBANDRY. IN 1921 THE FIRST STUDENTS GRADUATED AND THEY WERE ABOUT 50 STUDENTS IN ALL. IN 1924 THE PHELPS STOCK COMMISSION (WHICH CARRIED OUT EDUCATION SURVEY IN NORTHERN RHODESIA) MET AT KAFUE TRAINING INSTITUTE (K.T.I.). BEING TOO CLOSE TO THE RIVER THE INSTITUTE WAS NOT IDEAL AS IT WAS CONTINUOUSLY TROUBLED BY AQUATIC ANIMALS. THEREFORE A NEW SITE WAS PROPOSED AND APPROVED BY THE COLONIAL GOVERNMENT IN 1938. CONSTRUCTION OF THE BULDING OF THE NEW INSTITUTE STARTED IN 1939. THIS IS THE PLACE WHERE KAFUE SECONDARY SCHOOL IS SITUATED TODAY (SEE PLAQUE ON OLD ADMINISTRATION BLOCK).

ON 26TH JANUARY 1941, THE KAFUE TRAINING INSTITUTE WAS OFFICIALLY OPENED. THE NEW INSTITUTE CONTINUED TO TRAIN TEACHERS, EVANGELISTS, CARPENTERS, BUILDERS, AGRICULTURALISTS AND CRAFTSMEN. A CLINIC WAS ALSO OPENED NEAR THE INSTITUTE TO CATER FOR THE STUDENTS AND THE SURROUNDING COMMUNITY. IN 1950 A JUNIOR TRADES SCHOOL WAS OPENED TO OFFER TRAINING TO STANDARD 4 (GRADE 6) AND SCHOOL LEAVERS. THIS TRADES SCHOOL WAS BUILT IN 1956, ON THE AREA WHERE THE ZAMBIA NATIONAL SERVICE IS TODAY. IT WAS STUDENTS FROM THIS TRADES SCHOOL WHO BUILT THE BAINBRIDGE CHAPEL STARTING IN 1956. MISS E.M. BAINBRIDGE OF ENGLAND DONATED THE MONEY FOR THE CONSTRUCTION OF THE CHAPEL. IN 1957 BAINBRIDGE CHAPEL WAS OPENED.

IN 1958 SECONDARY EDUCATION STARTED AT KAFUE AND THE FIRST FORM ONES ABOUT 30 ARRIVED. MORE DORMITARIES AND CLASSES WERE BUILT.

THE FOLLOWING YEAR, 1959, TEACHER TRAINING CEASED AT KAFUE AND STUDENTS WERE SENT TO DAVID LIVINGSTONE TEACHERS TRAINING COLLEGE. THEREFORE, KAFUE TRAINING INSTITUTE BECAME KAFUE SECONDARY SCHOOL UNDER REV. J.P.K. BYRNES. THE FIRST FORM II EXAMINATIONS WERE TAKEN IN 1960 AND THE FIRST CLASS (III) STARTED IN 1962. IN 1964 ZAMBIA GAINED ITS INDEPENDENCE AND THE SAME YEAR THE FIRST FORM 5’S SAT FOR THEIR G.C.E EXAMINATIONS.

THE FOLLOWING YEAR, 1965, THE METHODIST CHURH WENT INTO UNION WITH OTHER CHURCHES TO FORM THE UNITED CHURCH OF ZAMBIA (U.C.Z.). THESE ARE THE METHODIST CHURCH, LONDON MISSION SOCIETY, THE PARIS MISSION SOCIETY, CHURCH OF BAROTSE LAND, AND THE CHURCH OF SCOTLAND. FROM THEN ON KAFUE SECONDARY SCHOOL BECAME A PROPERTY OF U.C.Z.

IN 1975 MR L.A. CHIBUTU BECAME THE FIRST ZAMBIAN HEADMASTER OF THE SCHOOL. MR CHIBUTU CAME TO KAFUE AS A PUPIL IN STANDARD 5 (GRADE 7). AFTER COMPLETING STARDAND 6 UPPER (FORM II), HE TRAINED AS A TEACHER AT KAFUE (K.T.I.). HE LATER TAUGHT AND BECAME THE HEADMASTER AT THE SAME SCHOOL. FROM ITS INCEPTION TO DATE THE SCHOOL MOTTO IS ‘CITIZEN OF TWO KINGDOMS’ MEANING-CITIZEN OF THE KINGDOM OF THE EARTH AND HEAVEN AND /OR CITIZEN OF AN ACADEMIC SOCIETY AND OF OUTSIDE (NON- ACADEMIC) SOCIETY. THE HIPPO IS ON THE SCHOOL EMBLEM AS A SYMBOL FOR IT IS AN ANIMAL THAT LIVES BOTH IN WATER AND ON LAND.

SOME NOTABLE PEOPLE WHO HAVE PASSED THROUGH KAFUE INCLUDE; H. NKUMBULA (LATE VETERAN POLITICIAN), R.NABULYATO (FORMER SPEAKER OF THE NATIONAL ASSEMBLY), R. PENZA (LATE MINISTER OF FINANCE), F. HAPUNDA (SOUTHERN PROVINCE MINISTER), SIKOTA WINA (POLITICIAN), W. KABIMBA (POLITICIAN) AND MANY OTHER OUTSTANDING PEOPLE IN THE COUNTRY. IN 1967, THE THEN PRESIDENT OF ZAMBIA DR. K. KAUNDA VISITED THE SCHOOL. IN 1980 THE THEN SECRETARY GENERAL OF UNIP, MR MAINZA CHONA ALSO PAID THE SCHOOL A VISIT.

TODAY THE SCHOOL HAS ABOUT 769 PUPILS IN BOARDING AND STILL PRODUCES QUALITY EDUCATION. IT IS STILL ONE OF THE BEST SCHOOLS IN ZAMBIA.

THERE ARE FOUR HOUSES: CHITIMUKULU, AGGREY, LIVINSTONE AND LEWANIKA. EACH HOUSE HAS FIVE DORMS NAMED AFTER PIONEERS OF EDUCATION IN THE METHODIST CHURCH. AT PRESENT THERE ARE SEVENTEEN (17) CLASSES AND A STAFF OF ABOUT 41.

SEVERAL HEADMASTERS HAVE PASSED THROUGH KAFUE SECONDARY SCHOOL SINCE ITS INCEPTION AND THESE ARE AS FOLLOWS:

 PERIODNAMES
1.1918 - 1928REV. J. R. FELL
2.1928 - 1931REV. J. R. SHAW
3.1931 - 1940REV. L. MORLEY
4.1940 - 1941REV. S.D. GRA
5.1941 - 1952REV. J. L. MATHEWS
6.1952 - 1959REV. W. P. JUHLE
7.1959 - 1960REV. J P. K. BYRNES
8.1960 - 1964REV. F. L. CULVER
9.1964 - 1967MR. K. C. RICHARDSON
10.1967 - 1969MR. A. HYDE
11.1969 - 1970MR T. EDGE (acting)
12.1970 - 1972MR J.WILTON
13.1973 - 1974MR A. VARGHESE
14.1975 - 1985MR L.A. CHIBUTU
15.1986 - 1994MR M. NDEMENA
16.1995 - 1997MR D. GROGAN (acting)
17.1997 - 1998MR L.M. SIAMUBOTU (acting)
18.1998 - 2004MR L. N. NAWA
19.2004 - 2006MR V. ZGAMBO
20.2006 - 2008MRS R.Z. MUSONDA (acting)
21.2008 – MAY 2014MRS C.M.K. MUTALE
22.MAY 2014 – TO DATEMR DAVIS KALUMBI

COMMUNITY PARTNERSHIP.

  1. THE SCHOOL IS PRIVILEGED TO HAVE A COMMUNITY WHICH IS SUPPORTIVE. SO FAR THEY HAVE HELPED IN CONSTRUCTING A MODERN MALE AND FEMALE ABLUTION BLOCK AT THE CHAPEL. THEY HAVE HELPED IN COMPLETING THE 2X2 SEMI DETACHED HOUSES WHICH WERE INITIALLY STARTED BY ONE OF OUR WELL WISHERS THE BEIT TRUSTEES OF UK, THEY HAVE ALSO BUILT A 1X2X2 BEDROOMED FLAT AND HAVE RENOVATED ONE TEACHER’S HOUSE WHICH WAS COMPLETELY RUN DOWN. THE COMMUNITY CONSTRUCTED A WALL FENCE AROUND THE DORMITORIES AT A COST OF K470,000,000 PARENTS PAID K200.00 EACH AS ONE OFF PAYMENT AND IT HAS SINCE BEEN COMPLETED. THIS IS TO IMPROVE SECURITY TO THE PUPILS.
  2. THE SCHOOL HAS PURCHASED SINGLE SEATER DESKS TO HELP ALLEVIATE THE PROBLEM OF SITTING SPACES FOR PUPILS WHICH WAS STANDING AT A RATIO OF 1:3. EACH PARENT WAS TASKED TO RAISE AT LEAST A MINIMUM OF K200.00 THROUGH FUNDRAISING FORMS. AND K22, 000.00 WAS RAISED AND SPENT ON 105 DESKS. THESE DESKS WHERE BOUGHT FROM LUKAMANTANO HELPERS SOCIETY IN SHIMABALA. AND LUSAKA CENTRAL PRISONS.
  3. THE GERMAN ORGANISATION, THE CHRISTIAN AID IN ZAMBIA (CAZ) HAS BUILT A 1 X 2 DORMITORY ATTACHED WITH AN ABLUTION BLOCK AT COST OF K150,000.00 AND PUPILS HAVE SINCE FRIDAY 27 2014 MOVED TO THIS NEW DORMITORY TO PAVY WAY FOR REHABILITATION OF OLD DORMS
  4. THE CHURCH THROUGH LUSAKA PRESBYTERY HAS ALSO CONSTRUCTED A MODERN ABLUTION BLOCK AT THE CLASS ROOM AREA FOR THE PUPILS

CHALLENGES.

THOUGH THE PUPIL PERFORMANCE HAS BEEN VERY GOOD, THE PUPIL BOOK RATIO IS AT 1:5. SINCE THE POPULATION HAS DOUBLED THE INFRASTRUCTURE REMAINS THE SAME ESPECIALLY ABLUTIONS WHERE THE RATIO OF TOILET TO PUPIL IS AT 1:30 AT THE DORMITORIES AND 1:74 AT THE CLASSROOMS, POWER OUTAGES, ERRATIC WATER SUPPLY AND LACK OF RELIABLE TRANSPORT (UTILITY VEHICLE).

 


 

COMPILED BY BWALYA J.H.(HISTORY SECTION) – JANUARY 1999.
REVISED BY NAWA C.N.K. – MARCH 2006
1ST UPDATED BY CHILUFYA L.B.M. – JANUARY 2010
2ND UPDATED BY KANYINJI L.H. – SEPTEMBER 2011
3RD UPDATED BY MAAMBO. L. – JUNE 2014